Wednesday, January 2, 2008

First toe in

Then how should I begin
to spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?

How should I begin? Why, with a pretentious quotation, of course.

Greetings, initial-blog-post readers, whoever you are. Since I haven't told anyone this blog even exists, you're reading this either because you surfed onto this blog randomly, or else because it's been so utterly fascinating you had to go back all the way to the beginning and read the whole thing.

Yeah, I'm betting on random surfing.


I appear to be creating a blog for my hike of the Appalachian Trail. Why I would do such a thing, I'm not sure.

Partly, I suppose, to keep friends and family appraised of what I'm doing on the hike; but that would be much easier to do with the occasional phone call and forwarded emails. Partly to dispense whatever profoundly wise reflections occur to me while doing the hike; but I am altogether uncertain I will have any. Partly to share the adventure with the whole wide world; but frankly, I'm doing the hike in part to get away from you people.

I guess, in the end, I'm trying out a blog for some of the same reasons I'm doing the hike. A couple of people have asked me about the hike "have you done this sort of thing before?" The answer I ought to give is "Not really, and that's sort of the point." I don't actually say that, of course: that would be much too revealing. But the truth of the thing is that I needed to do something enormous, something that would not fit into the coffeespoons I am used to living by, and the AT seemed as good as anything. And if the idea of writing a blog seems remarkably weird to me, so much more reason to do it.

I'm disturbing the universe, eating a peach, and putting on a snorkel to get a mermaid. And making whatever pretentious references I damn well please along the way.

Let us go then, you and I.