Sunday, March 23, 2008


March 14, 2008

Or not. Overslept and didn't get going until 9:30. Off-and-on rain all day. A lot of mist in the mountains gave made it a beautiful, if wet, day. Rain picked up toward noon, but made Hawk Mountain shelter and spent a long lunch with a guy named Frank who's doing a section hike (to VA). Very interesting guy - hope I run into him again, but I doubt it - he, like everyone else on the AT, hikes faster than I do. We both left the shelter at 2:30, but he quickly pulled away. By 5, I was only as far as Horse Gap, but there were 2 guys already camped there, so I called it a day. Only 5 miles but I'm pacing myself, right? Either that or I'm an enormous candy-ass; your call.

March 15, 2008

Rained all day and not drizzle either. Thunder and lightning, turn the trail into a creek, feel the water squishing in your shoes rain. Hail, too, on occasion.

Made Gooch Mountain shelter by 2:30, and called it a day. It's kept raining off and on, but hopefully it'll be dry enough tonight to let some of our gear dry out. Right now, the shelter is festooned with dirty socks and pants flapping in the breeze. Looks like someone stuck a grenade in a homeless guy's shopping cart.

March 16, 2008

Handy tip #1 (possibly a series) - on a sunny day following a rainy one, strap on your wet, muddy clothes to the outside of your pack, in order to dry. As an added bonus, the aroma will scare away hostile wildlife

Day started cold - 40 degrees at 8 am - but it was sunny and 60 (if breezy) by the time I made Woody Gap, where there is a highway crossing and a few picnic tables. Made good time (for me) in the AM, but then squandered it by taking almost a full hour for lunch there. It's OK - if I can't sit and enjoy a scenic overlook on a sunny day, what's the point of the trip?

Hiked from 9am to 5:30pm and covered 8 miles, including a couple tough uphills. Felt OK at the end, like I could have done more, but decided to call it a day since the next water source was 3 full miles and it'd be pushing dark to try for that. Camped by some nameless creek next to a father and son thru-hiking. I'm not sure I'm high on their chances of finishing - dad looks to be pushing 400, son is about 10 and does not look to have a 6-month attention span, and both of them are carrying food bags heavy on the Hershey bars and Little Debbies. But they are having a father-son adventure, and I'm not sure anyone on the AT is having more fun.

Tomorrow will be 5 straight miles uphill, ending at Blood Mountain, about 1600 feet up from where I am now. But after that, it's only 2 miles downhill to Neel's Gap. At Neel's Gap there is food and hopefully a bed...

On the MP3 player today: U2. When I was a Sophmore in high school, I played my cassette of U2's War album until it just snapped from overuse. Some day, they will make a Guitar Hero verson of "Like a Song" or "Sunday, Bloody Sunday," and I will own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Going so far Eric. Glad you took mine and so many others advise on starting slow. Seeing as how it is Easter Sunday and Dee has posted some stuff. Glad also to see that you are being truthful with yourself on this adventure. If you keep following this plan you will do okay do doubt in my mind.

Things here in Orlando and at OCA going well. Last week of the semester next week and then spring break. Unfortunately you will be well past where I planned on getting back on at and doing a weeks worth of hiking. In fact, you should be sitting at Hiawassee right now. Hope you had fun either in Hiawassee or else that you stayed at Cloud Nine.

Good Luck and Thanks Dee,
Marty - 'Touch of Grey'

Unknown said...

You're welcome :) I'm happy to do it.