Tuesday, March 25, 2008


March 18, 2008

Woke up this morning to a hot breakfast cooked by Pirate. Pirate runs the hostel part of this place during the busy season which is now through April. After that, he'll pick up his own pack and as he says, "Pass 'em all." Long retired, he's been working the hostel for 17 years. Except for the few months he spends here, he basically lives out of his tent and hikes all year.

This morning, most everyone that was here yesterday cleared out - the only ones left were me and Five Stones. He came in yesterday just a bit ahead of me, but he's got nasty blisters on both heels and was instructed by the guides here to lay up for a day.

Today was originally supposed to be a zero day for me too. I had a bunch of errands to run, and they were gonna take all day, and it would be a nice rest. All week long, as I've been pretty much the slowest guy out here, I've kept in mind the last thing Josh from the hostel told us when he dropped us off at Springer on Thursday. "It's a turtle's game," he said. "The turtle always wins."

So I'm not bothered that I've only been averaging 6 miles a day so far. But turtle is one thing and sloth is another. It's 2:00, and I've gotten most of my chores done. In another hour, I can be ready to go. A mile and a half uphill seems a nice way to end the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric - Caught up with the posted entries. What are your ploans for the Harpers Ferry stopover on your trek plan? Can we see you there ???

Anonymous said...

Go Turtle GO! As they say in MD "Fear the Turtle"! sm