Monday, April 21, 2008

4/6/2008

Late leaving Fontana today, then a very stiff uphill. Not as steep as in the Nantahala region, but it was still a 2000+ foot climb today.

Normally, the AT goes directly across Fontana Dam, but currently the dam is closed, so there was a 2 mile reroute to a bridge downstream.

I'm planning on crossing the Smokies without resupply. Leaving a safety margin, this means I have to carry eight-plus days of food and fuel, not to mention all of the cold-weather gear I have for the frigid temperatures I'm promised in the Smokies. The upshot is that my pack is very heavy, well over 40 pounds.

And it is not cold, at all. In fact, it was sunny and in the upper 70's, and I was sweating like a pig.

Speaking of pigs, I saw some today. About 10-12 wild boars, half younglings about 80 yards ahead. I took some photos, but I don't think they came out.

One of the challenges of the Smokies is that you can only camp at designated sites - no getting up by the side of the trail. Today my choices are to stop at 7 miles or push on to 12. Given the terrain, the latter ain't happening. I pull up for the night at Birch S0pring Shelter.

No comments: