Tuesday, April 22, 2008

4/9/2008

Another day where I struggle mightily with motivation. The weather continues to be absolutely gorgeous -70 degrees with big white puffy clouds - even as the terrain continues to be brutal. Up and down, up and down.

The woods are gorgeous - in many places, the undergrowth is simply grass (remnants from when this was grazing territory until less than 100 years ago), studded with tiny white flowers. The trees are not in bloom, but most of the beeches are still clinging to last years leaves, and they cling to the branches like pale golden tongues of fire. It looks like Lothlorien.

All I want to do is sit down in the grass with a picther of ice tea and a book. Instead, I have to slog on and on. It's very frustrating. Adding to that is that I've been hiking with strangers for the last few days. Most all of the friends I've made on the trail are days ahead of me (a few are hehind), having left my slow fat butt in the dust.

To cap it all, I've re-twisted my ankle for the umpteenth time. My left ankle is really painful today; I don't think it's sprained, but it seems like I'm working towards it slowly. I cut off early today, 7 miles.

No comments: