Saturday, May 24, 2008

May 23rd

Cloudy all day with occasional drizzle, but it never breaks through into actual rain -- just enough to keep you thinking "uh-oh" every time it sprinkles a bit. Some great views today, overlooking the populated valleys.

The plan was for me to camp up on top of the mountain just short of Pearisburg. There is supposedly a spring up on top of the ridge, but I don't find it and before I know it, I'm past the spot and have reached Angel's Rest, a rock outcropping overlooking Pearisburg. I can either walk back .5 mile to try to find the spring and camp there, camp where I am (with no water to make dinner with), or keep on going 2 miles into town (making 15 for the day) Hmmm....

I get into town about 6:30, and book myself into a motel. It's a luxury, having a motel room to myself, one I haven't indulged in for over a month. There's a all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet across the street serving pretty horrible food; I load up four times anyway, before going back to my room and luxuriating in a king-size bed, climate control and a TV. I watch Bear Grylls until I fall asleep...

No comments: